Sunday, February 22, 2009

Share my Recipe Sunday - Pineapple Chicken by Kaycee



I am sharing the recipe today that I choose for my Gem of the Week. Kaycee from In The Moment posted this on her blog for Share you Recipe Sunday. I love how she added the prices of the supplies she bought. I also love that she has it labeled "Eat it and Like it". Don't you love saying that to your kids!! This is Kaycee's picture and the posting from her blog. Go visit her at In the Moment!!


I love sweet and sour chicken, but I've been looking for a cheaper, healthier version that I can make at home. I think I've found it, this recipe was inspired by one that I found on an advertisement for pineapple slices.

I can't even begin to tell you how much I love this dish. I could eat this every single day.

1 lb. cooked, chicken diced or shredded .69* (This was from a whole chicken I roasted on Saturday)
2 tbsp. olive oil .30
1 bell pepper, diced .50 (buy on sale, dice and freeze)
1/2 onion, diced .25
10 oz. canned pineapple chunks 2.00
2 tbsp reserved pineapple juice 0
1 cup sweet and sour sauce 1.14
2 tbsp soy sauce .21
1 tbsp sesame oil .30**
2 cups cooked rice .56
1/4 cup green onion, chopped .15
1 lb broccoli .69

Total: $6.79

(Click the link for cooking instructions)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet, add onions and bell pepper. Cook until tender.

Add chicken and heat through. Add pineapple chunks, juice, sesame oil and sauces. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes.

Serve over hot rice garnished with green onions and steamed broccoli as a side.



2 comments:

Hccm said...

Great recipe Sandy! Sweet and Sour chicken is my favorite too, but this recipe sounds really yummy.

Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha

Kaycee said...

Thanks for the link Sandy. I was planning on making this agin this week, but my hubby bought crushed pineapple instead of chunk. It will probably still taste the same.